Thursday, May 24, 2007

Our Pets


The boys have been excited about their pets. This week Micah and Scott helped their dad find earthworms for the fish and the chicks. Micah named the chicks Flag Chick and Mark Chick. He named Flag because while he was thinking about a name, he saw a flag in his dad's classroom and named it that. He named Mark because it had a black mark on its forehead. Micah and Scott are putting a few earthworms in the goldfish's tank (we lost the fish food and have to find worms and beetles for it to eat). In the second picture Scott is holding two of his rubber duckies (I think in his mind they represent the two chicks). For two days Scott would look for his rubber duckies and then show them to Mark and Flag. He doesn't really care whether they see the duckies now or not...I guess he realized that the chicks didn't care about them.

This week Simon also brought home 4 stick bugs. While transferring them from the cup to the fish container, a couple escaped and crawled up his arm and leg and Simon's leg and arm. They are very fragile and we did not trust Scott to help transfer them. I had to hold him back. They eat romaine lettuce and raspberry leaves and we have to mist their tank every day.

I think the boys' favorite pets are Flag and Mark. We already told Micah that we're going to butcher them and eat them at the end of the summer. I don't like the thought but what else would we do with them? We're going to visit family later on this year and there's no place I can think of keeping them for the winter. It makes sense to me. I'll just invite myself to my sisters for dinner or else eat out that night...I'm already too attached to them now.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: